You must be familiar with the song from Marilyn Monroe in Gentlemen Prefers Blondes: “diamonds are a girl’s best friend.” Dazzling and Charming, a shimmering diamond engagement ring is what a romantic girl wants most in her life. The April birthstone diamond appeals to women in a variety of ways. Now, let’s acquire more helpful information about precious diamonds.
What is a Diamond?
- Diamond is a solid form of the only element carbon with atoms arrangement of a diamond cubic crystal structure.
- The name diamond originates from Ancient Greek: ἀδάμας (adámas), which means proper, unalterable, invincible, and unconquerable.
- Roughly 49% of diamonds originate from Central and Southern Africa. However, diamonds were first found only in alluvial deposits in the Guntur and Krishna district of the Krishna River delta in Southern India.
- Therefore, due to the preciousness of diamonds and their incredibly sparkling beauty, they soon became the essential gemstone for jewelry made by people worldwide.
Lore And Legend About Diamond
- The ancient Romans and Greeks had strong beliefs about diamonds; they even trusted that diamonds were the tears of the gods or splinters shed by falling stars. Roman literature also noted that Cupid’s arrows were tipped with diamonds.
- Another legend about diamonds is that God Chronos once changed a young man called Adamas into a precious stone. Then the young boy possessed unbelievable strength and good fortune. Later, people started to believe that diamonds had magical qualities and superpowers far beyond the understanding of humans. In various roman stories, studded diamonds often appeared on heroes’ weapons, which protected them from evil and helped them to make a triumph.
- In 1477, Archduke Maximilian of Austria commissioned the first-ever diamond engagement ring for his fiancée Mary of Burgundy. This sparked the trend for diamond rings among European nobles and aristocrats.
Symbolism and significance
- It has long been regarded as the most precious of all precious stones. For this reason, diamonds often symbolize perfection, purity, and rarity.
- In terms of jewelry, as more and more modern couples tend to opt for diamond rings as engagement rings, diamonds are now imbued with the meaning of pure, everlasting love and an eternal commitment to the other half of their future life.