There are three stones are assigned as December birthstones: turquoise, tanzanite, and sky-blue topaz. Each stone has something in common with one another--the blue shade. While the blue topaz is the more prevalent one, its lovely blue shade evokes images of the wind, sky, and water. Blue is the color of calm and quiet. Blue topaz is such a beautiful stone that it could be a great romantic gift for your loved one or a close friend. Follow to acquire more information about this fascinating stone!
What is Topaz?
- Topaz is a rare silicate mineral of aluminum and fluorine. It occurs in a wide range of natural colors, but most topaz is colorless. And it ranks number eight on the Mohs Hardness Scale.
- The word Topaz originates from Topazios, a small island in the Red sea, which means “hard to find.” Thus, Romans obtained a stone which they called by this name.
- We can find topaz worldwide, with Brazil being the world’s most vital source of these gemstones. Other countries that produce topaz include Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Australia, India, Madagascar, Mexico, Myanmar, Russia, Zimbabwe, the United States, etc.
- Three varieties of treated blue topaz have become dominant. Their dreamy blue color are Sky blue, Swiss blue, and London blue. Sky blue is the lightest one, its color like the faint sky after a rain. Swiss blue looks lively and exudes a romantic atmosphere. London blue is in dark blue with a slight black tone, the deepest among the three shades.
Lore and legend about Topaz
- In mythology, an Egyptian princess was exiled to the tiny island in the Red Sea-Topazios after she was caught attempting to assassinate the supreme Pharaoh. This island is hard to find and reach because this it is shrouded in mist all year round. But the Princess impressed the residents with her kindness and justice. The elderly island owner believed that she was a messenger from the gods, and gifted her a golden stone shining like the sun. And this stone was Topaz.
- Medieval medical scholars, like Hildegard von Bingen, believed topaz treated failing eyesight; The famed Portuguese Braganza Diamond is another case of mistaken gems, its crown gemstone is actually a topaz; The pink variety of topaz was so prevalent in Russia that they exclusively reserved for tsar and the royal family.
Symbolism and significance of Sky-Blue Topaz
- Sky-blue topaz symbolizes fidelity, love, wisdom, and creative inspiration.
- It helps us relax energies, fight off chaos and negative emotions.
- Blue topaz promotes harmony and relaxation, and can be especially helpful in healing hurt feelings and calming frayed nerves.
- In terms of the emotional and spiritual world, blue topaz helps for preventing anger and cooling raging tempers.